Hello! As your school counselor, here are some of the things we can help you with:
- Social/Emotional Counseling
- Academic Needs and Concerns
- Career Exploration
- Connection to Community Resources
- Student Advocacy and Support
Meet the Counseling Crew
Mindfulness Activities May 2022
1. Greater Good Science Center provides a lot of FREE, research-backed resources on forgiveness: In this video, you’ll learn how to help students understand forgiveness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw7UgAIcu4s. You can introduce students to forgiveness with these steps: https://ggia.berkeley.edu/practice/introducing_kids_to_forgiveness (K-6th) or https://ggia.berkeley.edu/practice/nine_steps_to_forgiveness (7th-12th & for you).
Mindfulness Activities April 2022
- 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrHJYeAVoKU Gratitude as a Learning Strategy
- 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xatJU6h1RwM Gratitude Whole Kids
- 1-3 Gratitude_Feeling Grateful 7.6.21.docx (thekindnesscurriculum.com)
- 4-6 Gratitude_Gratitude Alphabet 6.22.21.docx (thekindnesscurriculum.com)
- 7-10 Gratitude_Log an Act of Kindness 8.6.21.docx (thekindnesscurriculum.com)
- 11-12 Gratitude_Create a Wordle 6.22.21.docx (thekindnesscurriculum.com)
- 11-12 Gratitude_SoulPancake 6.22.21.docx (thekindnesscurriculum.com)
Mindfulness Activities March 2022
- How to Practice Belly Breathing - Nemours Children's Health System (middle/high school) - Nemours Speech Pathologists Demonstrate Belly Breathing - or Diaphragmatic Breathing • Diaphragmatic breathing is also called “belly breathing.” It’s a deep breath that tells the nervous system to calm down. • When babies are born, they naturally breathe from the belly. But, as kids get older, they start to breathe more shallowly from the chest.
- Bee Breath (elementary students)- Go noodle uses deep breathing with this fun bee exercise
Mindfulness Activities February 2022
- Nemours Teens Health provides free resources to educate students, as well as us, as educators. In this page, you’ll find information about the “what, why, and how” of mindfulness
- In BrainPOP, Cassie and Moby show you what mindfulness is and how to practice it!
The metaphor of a beachball used in this video sums up what we’ve learned about mindfulness and shared with our students so far – noticing and being with all our experiences at this very moment with kindness.
Mindfulness Activities January 2022
- The Power of Intention Setting for a Mindful School Year - Holly Duckworth, host of the Everyday Mindfulness Show and author of Mindful Leadership put it this way, “Intention in mindfulness practice means focusing our energy on our highest values. It is about how you want to be as you are caught up in all the doing.” In this short article, she shared some key points to set an intention. (All ages)
(For Elementary School Students)This article provides helpful prompts to guide a conversation and reflection questions to help students think about their values and aspirations
Intention Setting in the Classroom (For Middle/High School Students)Under the Social-Emotional Learning section on Edutopia, the authors explained the difference between goal setting and intention setting and discussed the key aspects of intention setting, which can be implemented easily with your students.
A Mini Meditation – Setting an Intention (For All Students)This mini meditation will guide you and your students to set a clear, actionable intention for the week.